Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Subscribe to Your Own Personal Newspaper



Do you feel the same way? Are you sick paying for the whole paper when you just want the sports section or to glance at an overview of the weather?

If you like the sound of reading material being personalized to your interests and delivered directly to you, not on a daily basis but in constant updates, you need to subscribe to an RSS: Really Simple Syndication. If you have a Google account then you already have access to the Google RSS tool, Google Reader, or click the link to subscribe to both. Google Reader, is one of many RSS feeds, that allows you to "subscribe" to the sights you are interested in and then allows you to view all of their updates from one location. If you are interested in learning more, explore the Google Reader Blog or its video for beginners posted below.


Now get started with selecting the pages for your personalized daily read!


3 comments:

  1. I, too, love that RSS/ Google Reader enables us to customize exactly the type of information we're interested in reading. While I rarely read a newspaper, I can very easily open my Google Reader at my own convenience and start perusing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shannon, I really like how you worded this blog post. Very clever. I also love that you can customize exactly what information is sent to you. Have you had the time to read through it all though? I feel as though it's still so overwhelming!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a bit overwhelming, I agree. I think what has made it seem manageable for me is that I have only subscribed to blogs and technology sites- all of which are pertaining to teaching.

      I think as I get used to filtering through the information I will start to add other personal interest topics. Just the other day, I opened my Google reader and was instantly intrigued by a new feed from Free Technology for Teachers about PixnTell- a resource for digital story telling. It was nice to have such a good experience with opening up the RSS and having something I am interested in right away, instead of having to search through a generic news source.

      Delete